- After 2002, the Chinese condom industry has grown significantly as the Chinese government has eased its policies and restrictions on it.
- The competition in the Chinese condom market is fierce because of a large number of small, domestic players in the market.
Ken Research has announced its latest publication on, “Research Report on China Condom Industry, 2011-2020” which offers valuable insights regarding the investment opportunities in Chinese condom industry. The publication includes a detailed discussion on condom and its related concepts such as classification and usage. In addition, the publication tracks the development of the Chinese condom industry over the past 5 years. Specifically, the report analyzes the factors governing the demand and supply in the Chinese condom industry along with subsequent information regarding the overall volume of condom export and import. The publication also investigates the forces which drive the condom industry in China including the consumer behavior, reason for use, purchase channel, price options, brand loyalty, brand awareness and packaging options. In addition, the detailed profile of major players within the Chinese condom industry is also a part of the investigative report.
Before the Chinese government lifted some of the restrictions on the use of condoms, the condom industry was underdeveloped in terms of both capacity and capability. It was only after 2002 that the government allowed the people to use condoms for purposes except hygiene. Ever since, the Chinese condom industry has been on a meteoric rise. Data also suggests the same, as in 1995 the total yearly output of condom was only about 1 billion as against the 10 billion in 2015. As Chinese people’s request for life quality increases due to the economic development and popularization of reproductive health knowledge, the use of condom keeps rising. And its function has been expanded from contraception alone to contraception, prevention of sexually transmitted diseases (STD) like AIDS and improvement in the quality of sexual life.
The condom market in China can be divided into two parts. Firstly, the Government act as a major consumer with a yearly purchase of over 1.0 billion condoms from approximately 17 dedicated companies. These condoms are then distributed amongst the Chinese population free of cost. This is done to encourage people to indulge in family planning and protecting them from STD. Even after such huge purchases of condom by the Government, the unit price per condom remained at approximately CNY 0.2-0.5 only. However, things have been improving over the past five years. For instance, during the first half of 2013, the Chinese CDCP (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) purchased above 10,000 condoms only to distribute them amongst the sex workers so that they are protected from diseases such as AIDS.
The important thing to note is that the Chinese condom market poses immense potential for international players as a large part of the population prefers globally known brands. As of 2015, the import value of condom had reached an estimated USD 279.0 million and the trade deficit exceeded to USD 200.0 million. The leading exporters of condoms to Chinese market include Malaysia, Japan and Thailand. In addition, the increase of premarital sex and commercial sex also adds to new market penetration opportunities for global players in Chinese condom industry.
Global Condom Industry
With the increasing incidence of Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD’s) such as AIDS, more number of people across the globe have begun to use condoms. The advancement in technology has also resulted in the availability of condoms for both males and females. Following are some of the governing factors driving the global condom industry:
- Increased incidence of premarital sex
- Increased prevalence of commercial sex
- Increased awareness about STD’s
- Governments across the globe are committing towards improving the quality of life led by their people
Key Topics Covered in the Report:
- Detailed overview of the condom market in China
- Related concepts such as definition, classification and uses of condom worldwide
- Development of the Chinese condom industry, 2011-2016
- PESTLE analysis of the Chinese condom market
- Insights on the status of supply and demand of condom in China, 2010-2015
- Sales channel analysis including advantage/disadvantage analysis of condom in China, 2011-2016
- Analysis of presence of competition in Chinese condom industry, 2011-2016
- Porter’s Five Force Analysis of Chinese condom industry, 2011-2015
- Detailed profiles of leading players in the Chinese condom industry, 2011-2015
To know more on coverage, click on the link below:
Ankur Gupta, Head Marketing & Communications