The government distribution of medicines will improve in future due to the initiatives such as Botika Ng Bayan, Distribution through Local Health Units and Rural Health Units, says a report by Ken Research
1.Corona Virus effect on pharmacy sales in Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market.
Demand for OTC products like Alcohol Based Cleaners, Vitamin C and D Tablets, Immunity Boosters and Health Supplements was boosted during quarantine. Maintenance Medicines were also in high demand. During the starting of the Quarantine, Pharmacies witnessed increase in sales due to bulk purchase, later the sales declined. Pharmacies faced supply chain issues especially in the ECQ zones. This has affected the sales of the pharmacies. Further, Philippines witnessed lockdown for a long duration.
2.Trends and Development that the Pharmacy retail market of Philippines will experience.
In July 2018, DOH relaunched Botika Ng Bayan initiative to provide free essential medicines for common diseases focusing on rural and poor people. The chain stores have increased tremendously in the Philippines. Especially TGP and Generika as they have adopted franchise model for store expansion. This increase in chained pharmacies has led to the growth of house brands or private labels. In starting of 2019, President Rodrigo signed Universal Health Care (UHC) Bill into law (Republic Act No. 11223) which automatically enrolls all Filipino citizens in the National Health Insurance Program. This will increase the healthcare affordability in the region.
3. Assessing the Possibilities in the Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market
- Penetration of internet, growth of social media has opened more connectivity options for the companies.
- Drive Through Stores, self-service stores are increasing customer convenience.
- This has helped in increasing the footfall in pharmacies for purchasing non pharmaceutical products.
- Chain stores can serve regional customers where they don’t have strong presence.
Key Segments Covered
By Market Structure (In USD Billion)
- Organized Market
- Unorganized Market
Type of Store Location (In USD Billion)
- Standalone Pharmacy
- Hospital Based Pharmacy
By Region (In USD Billion)
By Type of Sales (In USD Billion)
- Prescribed Medicines
- OTC Products
- Non Pharmaceutical Products
- Medical Equipment
By Type of Drug (In USD Billion)
By Therapeutic Class (In USD Million)
- Anti Diabetic
- Vitamins/Minerals /Nutrients
- Gastro Intestinal
- Mercury Drug Corporation
- Watsons Personal Care Stores
- SouthStar Drug Inc.
- The Generics Pharmacy
- Rose Pharmacy
- Generika Drugstores
- Several Regional Players & Others
Key Target Audience
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturer Companies
- Pharmaceutical Importing Companies
- Pharmaceutical Distributing Companies
- Major Retail Companies
- E-Commerce Pharmaceutical Retailers
- Consultancy Companies
- Industry Associations
- Regulation Bodies
- Time Period Captured in the Report:
- Historical Period: 2014-2019
- Forecast Period: 2020-2025
- Key Topics Covered in the Report
- Healthcare System in the Philippines
- Major Hospitals & Doctors in the Women Healthcare
- Usage of Contraception & Family Planning in the Philippines
- Health Insurance in the Philippines
- Supply Structure of the Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market
- Trends & Development in the Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market
- Issues & Challenges in the Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market
- SWOT Analysis & BCG Matrix in the Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market
- Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market Size & Segmentation, 2014-2019
- Online Pharmacy Regulations in the Philippines
- Telemedicine & Growth of Online Medical Consultation in the Philippines
- Major Telemedicine Providers in the Philippines
- Operating Model of Hybrid Pharmacies
- Competition Scenario, Market Share, Cross Comparison of Major Players (Online & Offline) and Company Profile
- Assessing Regional Pharmacies in the Philippines
- Corona Virus Impact on the Consumer Behavior & Pharmacy Sales
- Future Market Size and Segmentations, 2019-2025F
- Covid 19 Impact on the Philippines Pharmacy Retail Market
- Analysts’ Recommendations
Ankur Gupta, Head of Marketing and Communications