Sparkling wine is a carbonated wine made primarily of white and red grapes. They can be made in six different ways, with each method producing a different level of carbonation. However, the two most popular sparkling wine production methods are the Traditional Method and Tank Method. The Traditional (Classic) Method creates smaller bubbles and is used to make Champagne, whereas the Tank (Charmat) Method help in the creation of larger bubbles found in sparkling wines, such as Prosecco.
According to Ken Research Analysis, the Global Sparkling Wine Market was valued at ~US$ 28 billion in 2017. Furthermore, owing to the increasing alcohol socialization among consumers along with the increasing adoption of European culture, it is estimated to be ~US$ 37 billion in 2022 and is expected to reach a market size of ~US$ 56 billion by 2028 growing with a CAGR of ~7% during 2022 to 2028.
- Rapid socioeconomic changes and urbanization are propelling demand for sparkling wine across countries.
- Growing food tourism or culinary tourism worldwide is positively influencing the consumption of sparkling wines in premium hotels and restaurants for fine dining.
- The consumers’ shifting preferences towards a variety of alcoholic beverages, such as beer, liquors, spirits, and others due to their competitive prices may stifle the market growth of sparkling wine.
- The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in an unprecedented drop in the global wine trade in 2020, due to the lockdowns imposed by several governments across countries, which have halted wine production. Furthermore, extensive closures of restaurants and bars, as well as the restrictions on socializing have lowered the sales of sparkling wine.
Scope of the Report
The Global Sparkling Wine Market is segmented by type, product, and distribution channel. In addition, the report also covers market size and forecasts for the four major regions’ Sparkling Wine Markets. The revenue used to size and forecast the market for each segment is US$ billion.
Key Trends by Market Segment
By Type: The Red segment held the largest share of the Global Sparkling Wine Market in 2021, owing to its higher levels of vitamins and minerals, which helps in boosting the immune system.
- Red wine is typically cultured with grape skins and seeds, and it is high in phytonutrients that provide numerous health benefits, such as lowering the risk of heart disease, increasing good high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, easing joint pain, increasing insulin sensitivity, lowering the risk of osteoarthritis, and more.
- According to the Journal of Cardiovascular Development and Disease published by the Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute (MDPI), a Switzerland-based publisher of open-access journals, in September 2022, consumption of wine reduced the risk of death from cardiovascular causes.
By Product: The Prosecco segment held the largest market share of the Global Sparkling Wine Market in 2021, owing to its economic viability and ease of availability.
- Prosecco contains polyphenols, a plant chemical with antioxidant properties which help in lowering blood pressure, and stroke risk, improving circulation, and strengthening heart health.
- Furthermore, unlike Champagne, it does not have a protected geographical location, so it can inherently be produced anywhere in the world.
By Distribution Channel: The Supermarket/Hypermarket segment held the largest market share of the Global Sparkling Wine Market in 2021.
- The growth is mainly attributed to the availability of a variety of products at lower prices as compared to bars, restaurants, nightclubs, hotels, and other on-trade channels.
- The modernization of retail stores across countries, notably in emerging countries, is increasing revenue generation through off-trade sales channels, such as supermarkets/hypermarkets.
By Geography: Europe accounted for the largest share of the Global Sparkling Wine Market in 2021, as Europe is the world’s top producer of wine.
- The most popular sparkling wine, Prosecco, is primarily produced in Italy. For instance, in January 2022, according to the Prosecco DOC Consortium, Italy’s total wine production increased by 25% in 2021, with 627.5 million certified bottles of Prosecco being produced.
- Furthermore, Italy followed by France is the second largest producer of sparkling wine. For instance, according to Comité Champagne, a France trade association that represents the interests of independent Champagne producers, total Champagne shipments in 2021 increased by 32% over 2020 to 322 million bottles. In addition, exports also increased further, reached a new high of 180 million bottles over the same period.
The Global Sparkling Wine Market is highly competitive with ~150 players which include globally diversified players, regional players as well as a large number of country-niche players with their niche in adopting advanced technology, such as fermentation technology, and precision viticulture (through IoT and software) to improve the product taste, texture, and oenological potential of vineyards. Moreover, companies are competing on various parameters such as partnerships, new products offering, business models, marketing strategies, pricing, campaign, and more.
Regional players constitute about ~55% of the total competitors, while country-niche players comprise a share of ~35%. Some of the major players in the market include Accolade Wines, Bronco Wine Company, Casella, Caviro Extra S.P.A. S.U, Constellation Brands, Inc., E.&J. Gallo Winery, Concha y Toro, The Sparkling Wine Co., Illinois Sparkling Co., Freixenet Sa, and among others.
Recent Developments Related to Major Players and Organizations
- In May 2022, Accolade Wines launched its zero-alcohol wine collection named ‘Called &Then’ which is made using the company’s own de-alcoholizing technique named ‘Zero Tech X technology’.
- In July 2021, E. & J. Gallo Winery partnered with Randall Grahm to release a new collection of wines named ‘The Language of Yes’ which is made mainly from grape varieties in California’s diverse Central Coast AVA.
Key Topics Covered in the Report
- Snapshot of the Global Sparkling Wine Market
- Industry Value Chain and Ecosystem Analysis
- Market size and Segmentation of the Global Sparkling Wine Market
- Historic Growth of the Overall Global Sparkling Wine Market and Segments
- Competition Scenario of the Market and Key Developments of Competitors
- Porter’s 5 Forces Analysis of the Global Sparkling Wine Industry
- Overview, Product Offerings, and Strengths & Weaknesses of Key Competitors
- Covid-19 Impact on the Overall Global Sparkling Wine Market
- Future Market Forecast and Growth Rates of the Total Global Sparkling Wine Market and by Segments
- Market Size of Product Type, Distribution Channel, and Application Segments with Historical CAGR and Future Forecasts
- Analysis of the Global Sparkling Wine Market
- Major Production/Supply and Consumption/Demand Hubs within Each Region
- Major Country-wise Historic and Future Market Growth Rates of the Total Market and Segments
- Overview of Notable Emerging Competitor Companies within Each Region
Major Competitors Covered in the Report
- Accolade Wines
- Bronco Wine Company
- Caviro Extra S.P.A. S.U
- Constellation Brands, Inc.
- &J. Gallo Winery
- Concha y Toro
- The Sparkling Wine Co.
- Illinois Sparkling Co.
- Freixenet SA
Notable Emerging Companies Mentioned in the Report
- Giulio Cocchi
- Quady Wines
- Treasury Wine Estates
- California Champagnes
- Pernod Ricard
- La Marca USA
Key Target Audience – Organizations and Entities Who Can Benefit by Subscribing This Report
- Wine Feedstock Suppliers (Wine Grapes)
- Suppliers of Chemical Additives
- Wine Producing Companies
- Vineyard Management Companies
- American Association of Wine Economists
- American Wine Society
- National Wine Trade Federation
- Suppliers of Packaging Materials (Suppliers of Bottles, Corks)
- Food Regulatory Authorities
- Alcoholic Beverages Regulatory Authorities
- Government Ministries and Departments of Alcoholic Beverages
- Investment Banks and PE Firms Focused on Alcoholic Beverages Industry
- Potential Entrants into Alcoholic Beverages Industry
Period Captured in the Report
- Historical Period: 2017-2021
- Forecast Period: 2022-2028F
For more information on the research report, refer to the below link:
LinkedIn | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube